Evanston, IL: April 3-4, 2017
The Theraplay Institute
$350/ $325 for Theraplay Association members
Group Theraplay training is for professionals who want to use Theraplay in classrooms, day care, residential settings or with family groups. This two-day training is for people who have not taken our four-day Level One Theraplay training. If you have already taken Level One training, you should attend the one-day option for Group Theraplay training.
A Theraplay Group is an adult-directed, structured play group that incorporates playful, cooperative and nurturing activities that enhance the emotional well-being of children. Unlike other play group approaches, Theraplay learning takes place on a non-verbal level. Instead of talking about positive social behavior, the group leaders and children DO positive social interaction. Gradually, positive messages from the groups become a part of the child’s internal sense of himself.
Click here for information about becoming a Certified Group Theraplay Specialist.
Why is Theraplay good for children in group settings:
- Creates an atmosphere that is warm, nurturing, engaging and challenging
- Meets the basic needs of children so they can be freed emotionally to explore their world
- Engages hard-to-reach children
- Brings fun and exuberance into the lives of children
- Builds healthy relationships among individuals in a group
- Places emphasis on cooperation between children
- Encourages children to learn and practice self- control
- Enhances trust of others through concrete, personal and positive experiences
- Helps children with regulatory disorders and tactile issues
- Simultaneously addresses cognitive, social and emotional development
- Principles of attachment theory on an intellectual and experiential level
- The Four Dimensions of Theraplay for child development
- How to quickly assess which of the dimensions a particular child might need
- Strategies for incorporating Theraplay in daily interactions with children
- The importance of touch for children’s well-being and regulation
- The effects of complex trauma on a child’s brain and behavior
- Applying Theraplay principles to children’s groups
- Adapting Theraplay Groups to different populations
- Leadership skills for implementing a Theraplay group
- Addressing resistant behavior within the Theraplay group
- Experiential practices of both being a participant and a leader
- Strategies for successful implementation
- Describe the four dimensions of Theraplay, a modality of play therapy.
- Apply Theraplay principles to group treatment.
- Developed skills in using the group rules and group techniques through practice.
- Knowledge of how to adapt the use of group Theraplay with various populations.
- Describe how touch helps a child to feel calmer and more organized in a group setting.
- List three effects of complex trauma on a child’s brain and behavior.
- Describe three techniques for managing resistance and problem situations in groups.
- List a variety of materials and activities that are appropriate for the group Theraplay model.
- List three essential strategies for successful implementation
Who should attend:
- School counselors and social workers
- Special education teachers (Masters level)
- Clinicians who work with groups of children or family group therapy
- Early childhood specialists
8:00 am. Check-in and coffee service available
8:30 – 4:30 Start and end times each day
A one-hour lunch and two 15-minute breaks will be offered each day
Cancellations: Full refunds minus a $50 processing fee will be granted for cancellations made at least 21 days prior to the training. No refund will be granted for cancellation made less than 21 days prior, although we will credit your payment to another training. Credits must be used within 3 years of cancellation date or will be forfeited.
Attendance: Please note that your attendance at the full 13 hours is required in order to receive a completion letter. We cannot give credit for partial attendance or issue letters for partial CE’s. Only people who have completed the full 13 hours can be given credit in our database for completing the training. This is a requirement of the professional organizations who have accredited us to provide CEs.
Click here for information regarding special needs accomodations, completion letters, complaints and more. By registering, you are indicating you agree to the complete terms and conditions.