- This event has passed.
EMDR Therapy and Theraplay: Healing Complex Trauma & Attachment Wounds
June 15, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm CDT
*CEs only available for those licensed in the US
**Must have taken Level One Theraplay & MIM or Modules 1-3
This is a 3 day virtual training*
June 15-17, 2021
*the trainings will be 10:00am – 12:00pm CENTRAL TIME all three days
Trainers: Ana M. Gómez, MC, LPC
6 CE’s (NO APT CREDITS AVAILABLE)
Integrating two therapies, Theraplay and EMDR, can have a synergistic effect of facilitating healing of children with complex trauma and attachment injuries. Theraplay can provide the building blocks to strengthen the parent-child attachment bond, restore co-regulation, rebuild the caregiving system among others. EMDR therapy can process traumatic events and with it treat the deepest roots of the child’s symptoms. This training will address the benefits and intricacies of using EMDR therapy and Theraplay, as these two powerful approaches can complement and benefit each other in the treatment of highly traumatized children. It will highlight case conceptualization and the framework in which two approaches can co-exist while honoring the heart of each. Participants will learn when and how to best integrate these two treatment models in order to give voice to both the right and left brain. This training will emphasize the importance of addressing intergenerational trauma and how Theraplay and EMDR both contribute to the healing of generations. Presenters will put emphasis on working systemically and generationally. These two approaches can significantly support the healing of the caregiving system and move it out of survival and self-preservation into co-regulation and connection. Participants will walk away with inspiration, ideas, and tools that they can implement into their work with children and families, including:
- Theraplay activities that can be used throughout the eight phases of EMDR therapy
- How to use inner-child strategies to heal the “hurt little self” during Theraplay-EMDR sessions; and
- Theraplay and EMDR strategies to access parent’s unresolved trauma that blocks their capacity to “hold the child’s mind in mind.”
- Cite the similarities (theories and methods) between EMDR Therapy and Theraplay
- Describe the benefits of combining EMDR Therapy and Theraplay in the treatment of children with complex trauma
- Identify when and how to integrate EMDR Therapy with Theraplay to increase affect regulation and affect tolerance.
- Describe how to utilize the four dimensions of Theraplay while adding a Dual Attention Stimulus (DAS) to enhance child’s regulated moments
- Exhibit ways of increasing affect tolerance while engaging in Theraplay activities in the four dimensions
- Explain how to help a client access and process trauma memories using EMDR therapy supported by Theraplay strategies
- Describe ways of using inner child strategies to heal the “hurt little self” during Theraplay-EMDR sessions
- Analyze how to work with parents to increase mentalizing capacities using videos and incorporating EMDR strategies
- Identify Theraplay and EMDR strategies to access parent’s unresolved trauma that blocks their capacity to “hold the child’s mind in mind”
- Demonstrate ways of supporting the body in completing truncated defenses utilizing Theraplay activities
Ana M Gómez, MC, LPC is the founder and director of the AGATE Institute in Phoenix, AZ. She is an EMDR Institute, and EMDR-IBA trainer of trainers. She is a psychotherapist, author, and an international speaker on the use of EMDR therapy with children and adolescents with complex and developmental trauma as well as generational wounds and dissociation. She has been the keynote and invited speaker at numerous conferences and workshops around the world.
Ana is the author of EMDR Therapy and Adjunct Approaches with Children: Complex Trauma, Attachment and Dissociation and several books, book chapters and articles on the use of EMDR therapy with children and adolescents.
Ana was trained as an EMDR trainer by Dr. Shapiro (developer of EMDR therapy), co-authored an article on the use of EMDR therapy with children and provided a substantial contribution to the children’s section in Shapiro’s latest book.
Ana has developed numerous intensive programs and protocols that include the “EMDR-Sandtray Protocol” and “The Systemic, EMDR- Attachment Informed Program to Heal Intergenerational Trauma & Repair the Parent-Child Attachment Bond.”
Download full course bibliography HERE