Group Theraplay for Families and Community Care (Chicago, IL)
September 11 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm CDT$200 – $250
CEs Available: 13 | Two Day Training | In-person
Theraplay® is a child and family modality of play therapy for building and enhancing attachment, self-esteem, trust in others, and joyful engagement. Group Theraplay adapts this play-based modality from a dyadic parent child intervention to a group format focused on the development of healthy peer relationships. A Theraplay Group is an adult-directed, stuctured play group that incorporates playful, cooperative and nurting activities that enhance the emotional well-being of children. Unlike other play therapy group approaches, Theraplay learning takes place on a non-verbal level. Instead of talking about positive social behavior, the group leaders and children do positive social interaction. Gradually, positive messages from the groups become a part of the child’s internal sense of himself. This training is for professionals who want to use Theraplay in classrooms, day care, residential settings or with family groups.
This is a two day training taking place September 11-12, 2023 from 8:30am-4:30pm Central Time (CDT). View this training’s detailed agenda.
Andrea Bushala, M.S.W., L.C.S.W., R.P.T., has an undergraduate degree in Psychology from Miami University with an emphasis in child development. She obtained her Master of Social Work degree from Loyola University Chicago with a dual specialization in School Social Work and Children and Families. Andrea is a Certified Theraplay Practitioner, Group Theraplay Trainer and Supervisor-in-Training.
- Create an atmosphere that is warm, nurturing, engaging, and challenging
- Promote warm relationships between children and adults and friendships among peers
- Engage hard-to-reach children
- Place emphasis on cooperation between children
- Encourage children to learn and practice self- control
- Help children with regulatory disorders and tactile issues
- Describe the four dimensions of Theraplay, a modality of play therapy
- Apply Theraplay play principles to group treatment
- Develop play therapy skills in using the group rules and group techniques through practice
- Demonstrate how to adapt the use of group Theraplay in play therapy with various populations
- Describe how nurturing and regulating physical connection can assist a child to feel calm and more organized in a play therapy group setting
- List three effects of complex trauma on a child’s brain and behavior
- Describe three techniques for managing resistance and problem situations in play therapy groups
- List a variety of materials and activities that are appropriate for the group Theraplay model
- List three essential strategies for successful implementation
Who Should Attend?
People who work with children and families in many different capacities will benefit from training programs offered by The Theraplay Institute. Visit our Who Should Attend page for more information. This course’s Content Level is Intermediate.
View this training’s bibliography for books and other materials referenced in the development of the content for this program.
If you’ve attended Level One Theraplay & MIM or Modules 1-3, you are welcome to join us for Day 2 of this program for 50% off the registration rate! Please note that CEs are not available for the one day option. Attendance of the entirety of a program (in-person or virtual) is required in order to receive continuing education or a letter of completion.
Special Notes: Our cancellation policies have been temporarily adjusted to reflect our response to the pandemic and local government and health department directives. Please review this policy before completing your registration. We urge all participants to put their health and that of members of their communities first.
For information about our CE process, cancellation policy, and how to contact us with questions and concerns visit our FAQ page.
There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.