- This event has passed.
Kid Connections: Building Social Skills Through Theraplay (Chicago, IL)
April 18, 2022 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm CDT
This group session runs April 18, 25, May 2, and 9, 2022 from 4:00 – 5:00 PM CST each day at The Theraplay Institute located at 1224 W. Belmont Ave. Chicago, IL 60657.
Once payment has been received our clinic team will contact you via email to complete the registration paperwork required to participate in the program.
If you are registering more than one child use code CONNECT21 for a $5 discount per registration!
*Please note that current group scheduling is for children ages 5-8.
**Please note that this is a community group, not group therapy. This program is a private pay event that is not reimbursable through insurance.
Kid Connections Theraplay Groups are adult-directed, structured play groups that incorporate playful, cooperative and nurturing activities that enhance the emotional well-being of children. Unlike other play group approaches, Theraplay learning takes place on a non-verbal level. Instead of talking about positive social behavior, the group leaders and children DO positive social interaction. Positive messages from the group interaction gradually become a part of the child’s internal sense of self.
In these groups children will have the opportunity to:
- Learn and practice cooperation between peers
- Learn and practice self-control
- Enhance trust of others through concrete, personal and positive experiences
- Experience warm relationships between themselves and adults and friendships among peers
- Experience an atmosphere that is warm, nurturing, engaging and challenging
- Have their basic needs met so they can be freed emotionally to explore their world
- Receive support with regulatory disorders and tactile issues
- Improve their cognitive, social and emotional development