- This event has passed.
Level One & MIM | Dublin, Ireland
October 24 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm IST€950
CEs Available: 25 | Four Day Training
This training is designed to teach participants the fundamentals of the Theraplay model. After completing this training, participants will be able to begin applying Theraplay principles into their work with existing and new clients. For more information about this training, click here.
To register, contact Joanna Fortune at joanna[email protected].
This is a four day, in-person training. The dates are October 24, 25, 27, 28, 2022 from 8:30am-4:30pm (IST). View this training’s detailed agenda.
The third edition of Theraplay: Helping Parents and Children Build Better Relationships Through Attachment-Based Play is required for this training. Purchase here.
Joanna Fortune, MICP; MIFPP; CTTTS; Reg Pract APPI; Ap Sup PTI, is a Clinical Psychotherapist and Attachment specialist specializing in child and adolescent Psychotherapy with over 15 years of experience working with children and families. She is a Supervisor with Play Therapy International for over 7 years. She is also a Theraplay Practitioner, trainer and supervisor (World Theraplay Institute) and has trained in all areas of attachment work including SSAP (Story Stem Assessment Profile)/CAI (Child Attachment Interview)/MBT (Mentalisation Based Therapy) with the Anna Freud Centre.
– Principles of attachment theory on an intellectual and experiential level
– The Four Dimensions of Theraplay
– The Theraplay protocol
– An introduction to the Marschak Interaction Method (MIM): administration, analysis and as a guide for treatment planning
– Adapting Theraplay for working with children and families impacted by complex trauma and other populations
– Managing resistance throughout the treatment process
– Managing countertransference in your work with children and families
– Implementing Theraplay into your practice
1. Differentiate three play, attachment-based theories and how they support the work of Theraplay
2. Define how children with various attachment styles present in play therapy sessions
3. Explain the benefits of using the MIM in your play therapy practice
4. Arrange the MIM play therapy assessment tool
5. Analyze the MIM at a beginning level to benefit families in play therapy
6. Construct a play therapy treatment plan based upon the MIM analysis
7. Classify three play therapy goals to be achieved during a MIM feedback session with parents
8. Describe the four dimensions of Theraplay, a modality of play therapy
9. Indicate one play-based activity from each dimension: Structure, Engagement, Nurture and Challenge.
10. List three possible ways of adapting Theraplay into play therapy treatment to meet the needs of a child with complex trauma
11. State how to guide parents to participate in a Theraplay, a modality of play therapy, in treatment session
12. Specify how to prepare parents to use Theraplay play therapy techniques at home to further therapeutic goals
13. Express how various parent attachment styles present in play therapy sessions
14. Demonstrate adapting Theraplay play therapy techniques to three different populations of families
15. Apply Theraplay techniques to work through resistance in play therapy sessions
16. Practice how to adapt Theraplay activities for children of different ages
17. Explain how to prepare for termination of Theraplay treatment
18. Evaluate how the clinician is impacted by the functioning of parents and children in play therapy sessions
19. Identify two types of clients for whom Theraplay would not be an appropriate play therapy modality
Who Should Attend?
People who work with children and families in many different capacities will benefit from training programs offered by The Theraplay Institute. Visit our Who Should Attend page for more information. This course’s Content Level is Intermediate.
View this training’s bibliography for books and other materials referenced in the development of the content for this program.
Special Notes: Our cancellation policies have been temporarily adjusted to reflect our response to the pandemic and local government and health department directives. Please review this policy before completing your registration. We urge all participants to put their health and that of members of their communities first.
For information about our CE process, cancellation policy, and how to contact us with questions and concerns visit our FAQ page.
There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.