- This event has passed.
Level Two Theraplay & MIM | Milton Keynes, UK
September 13 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm BST£850
Four Day Training
Level Two Theraplay training is intended for therapists who have been implementing the Theraplay treatment protocol within their practice for at least 6 months. It is an opportunity to come together as clinicians and review Theraplay cases, share ideas, and learn from one another’s experience. We will discuss and process in-depth the ways in which we see examples of the four dimensions of Theraplay within our own play therapy cases. We will analyze an MIM together to deepen your understanding of this play therapy assessment tool. We will discuss ways to enhance Theraplay-based work with parents and process the challenges of working with complex parents. We will discuss the ways in which our own attachment histories are present in the play therapy room. We will consider ways in which culture and race impact our Theraplay work and we will discuss and practice adaptations for trauma when using Theraplay. We will discuss and practice ways in which to adapt and engage in Theraplay treatment with special populations (adolescents, ASD, foster/adopt). Level Two Theraplay training is intended to be experiential and discussion-based. You will be asked to share a Theraplay session of your own in order to receive support, feedback, and ideas from the trainer and attendees.
To register, visit Adoption Plus.
This is a three day training taking place September 13-15, 2023.
Fiona Peacock is a BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor and Certified Theraplay® Practitioner, Trainer and Supervisor. In the past she worked in a highly specialised CAMHS team for Looked After and Adopted children as well as working in Education settings. Now she has a private practice providing psychotherapy and Theraplay to children.
- In-depth application of the core concepts of Theraplay and current relevant research to case material
- Marschak Interaction Method (MIM) by Dimension: an in-depth analysis using case examples
- Observation and analysis of MIM using case material
- The Parent feedback session: preparation and implementation to enhance the therapeutic relationship with caregivers
- Assessment of complex parents using case material: clinical decision making related to contraindications for Theraplay
- Working with caregiver’s attachment history in Theraplay treatment planning, feedback sessions and progress
- Implementation of the parent demonstration session
- Managing resistance throughout the treatment process
- Managing countertransference in your work with children and families
- Role play and practice of activities
- Developmental trauma and Theraplay: Clinical decision making
- Adaptation of activities for clients and families impacted by trauma
- Identify the underlying principles of Theraplay, a modality of play therapy, and their
relationship to current attachment and brain research
- Administer and analyze the MIM and an intermediate skill level
- Extrapolate skills in the use of the MIM for Theraplay treatment planning
- Describe how to use feedback sessions with parents to transmit a sense of hopefulness and trust in play therapy treatment
- Describe Theraplay methods for overcoming parental resistance
- Report factors that influence the decision of whether to include parents in Theraplay treatment sessions
- Describe 3 ways in which race and culture might impact Theraplay work with parents and/or children
- Identify ways in which one’s own attachment history might impact their Theraplay work with clients
- Demonstrate how to use a wider range of Theraplay activities and techniques
- Relate how to adapt Theraplay, a modality of play therapy, to work with a wider range of populations, such as children with autism and older children
- Apply Theraplay strategies for dealing with resistant clients
- Describe the concept of complex trauma and how it applies to Theraplay
- Describe three modifications to Theraplay, a modality of play therapy, to meet the needs of traumatized children
- Assess when to use Theraplay in the overall play therapy treatment course of a client
- Describe how to adapt Theraplay treatment to meet the needs of parents who may have been traumatized
Who Should Attend?
People who work with children and families in many different capacities will benefit from training programs offered by The Theraplay Institute. Visit our Who Should Attend page for more information. This course’s Content Level is Advanced.
View this module’s bibliography for books and other materials referenced in the development of the content for this program.
For information about the cancellation policy, questions and concerns, and inquiries about CEs (if available) for any courses taking place outside of the United States, please reach out to the listed registration contact.
Our FAQ information and especially the CE process do not apply to international trainings.
There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.