- This event has passed.
Level Two Theraplay & MIM (Virtual)
January 19, 2021 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pm CST
*CEs only available for those licensed in the US
This is a 4 day training
January 19-20 & February 2-3, 2021
Trainers: Dafna Lender & Mandy Jones
Prerequisite: Level One Theraplay & MIM, ~6 months of using Theraplay
Registrants should have experience using Theraplay in their work before attending this training.
This course is required for full Theraplay certification.
This workshop will cover five main areas of content:
Module 1 will focus on several examples of MIMs and their interpretation to improve your comfort and skill in administering and interpreting this play therapy assessment. There will be in-depth application of the core concepts of Theraplay and current relevant play therapy research to case material, greater analysis of the Marschak Interaction Method (MIM) by Dimension, and an observation and analysis of MIM using case material. Participants will also develop deeper skills about play therapy treatment planning through delivery of parent feedback sessions.
Module 2 will focus on the Impact of race and culture on the Theraplay Practitioner. Theraplay is based on white male European theorists and was developed by White women. Theraplay is practiced predominantly by White upper-middle class people. Participants will examine the tension between the fact that while some aspects of Theraplay are universal, there are aspects of Theraplay that are implicitly biased. Participants will have the opportunity to analyze how some of the Theraplay norms are racially/culturally biased and what to do to deal with the inevitable cultural/racial bias that we hold.
Module 3’s emphasis is on working with parents. Participants will expand the breadth of their Theraplay play therapy skills by assessing complex parents using case materials, learn how to work with caregivers’ attachment history in treatment planning, and learn implementation of the parent demonstration session. Participants will learn how to manage resistance throughout the play therapy treatment process.
Module 4 will expand your Theraplay repertoire of skills and adapt to various settings. Participants will learn and practice activities for managing dysregulated clients or clients with diagnoses such as Autism Spectrum Disorder. Participants will also learn how to practice Theraplay in clients’ homes, in institutional settings, and online. Participants will be provided with information on how to sequence Theraplay with other therapies or how to combine Theraplay with other play therapy and trauma-based modalities.
Module 5 will focus on adapting Theraplay to work with trauma/complex families. Participants will learn play therapy techniques to better work with children who have experienced trauma, have attachment disorders, or are seen as having complexities. Participants will gain a greater understanding of developmental trauma and how it applies to clinical decision-making in Theraplay. Further, participants will learn how to adapt play therapy activities for clients who have been impacted by trauma and how to engage parents who present with their own trauma histories.
- Describe the underlying principles of Theraplay, a modality of play therapy, and their relationship to current attachment and brain research
- Administer and analyze the MIM at an intermediate skill level
- Develop skills in the use of the MIM for play therapy treatment planning
- Describe how to use feedback sessions with parents to transmit a sense of hopefulness and trust in play therapy treatment
- Describe play therapy methods for overcoming parental resistance
- Describe factors that influence the decision of whether to include parents in play therapy treatment sessions
- Demonstrate how to use a wider range of Theraplay activities and play therapy techniques
- Describe how to adapt Theraplay, a modality of play therapy, to work with a wider range of populations, such as children with autism and older children
- Describe play therapy strategies for dealing with resistant clients
- Describe the concept of complex trauma and how it applies to play therapy
- Describe three modifications to Theraplay, a modality of play therapy, to meet the needs of traumatized children
- Assess when to use Theraplay in the overall play therapy course of treatment for a client
- Describe how to adapt treatment to meet the needs of parents who may have been traumatized
- List 2 examples of how Theraplay may be racially/culturally biased towards minorities
- List 2 examples of how Attachment Theory could be racially/culturally biased
- List 2 mechanisms for examining and mitigating the negative effects of structural racism in Theraplay
- List 2 pros and 2 cons for working with Theraplay play therapy virtually (online Theraplay)
- List 3 play therapy adaptations for working with Theraplay online
For more information on what is included in Level Two Theraplay & MIM training, please CLICK HERE
Download a detailed agenda HERE
Download a bibliography HERE
Registration Terms and Conditions
Our cancellation policies have been temporarily adjusted to reflect our response to the pandemic and local government and health department directives. Please review this policy before completing your registration. We urge all participants to put their health and that of members of their communities first.
The Theraplay Institute is not responsible for any expenses (including travel) incurred by registrants if a training course is cancelled or you are otherwise unable to attend. In light of the current global situation, it is highly recommended that you purchase insurance to cover your travel expenses should your plans need to change.