July 26 @ 8:00 am - 2:00 pm CDT
CEs Available: 5.5 | Prerequisite: Module 2 | One Day Training | Virtual
Theraplay® is a child and family modality of play therapy for building and enhancing attachment, self-esteem, trust in others, and joyful engagement. Rated as “effective” by the SAMHSA National Registry for Evidenced – Based Programs and Practices, it is based on the natural patterns of playful, healthy interaction between parent and child and is personal, physical, and fun. Theraplay play therapy interactions focus on four essential qualities found in parent-child relationships: Structure, Engagement, Nurture, and Challenge. This module will explore how to analyze the Marschak Interaction Method (MIM). The MIM is a structured technique for observing and assessing the overall quality and nature of relationships between caregivers and children, and forms the basis for play therapy treatment. For more information and learning objectives for Theraplay Module 3: Marschak Interaction Method: Administration, Scoring, and Feedback for Theraplay Practice visit this page.Register
This is a one day training taking place July 26, 2023 from 8:00am-2:00pm Central Time. View this module’s detailed agenda.
Theraplay: The Practitioner’s Guide is required for this training. Read Chapters 2, 4 and 6 of your book prior to the training and have it available for reference during the training. All other materials will be provided via email. Digital and paper versions are available. Purchase here.
Cindy Mitchell Perkins, MA, LCPC, is a retired school teacher, administrator and counselor of 32 years. She is a certified Theraplay Practitioner, certified Theraplay Trainer and a certified Theraplay Supervisor. She has been in Private psychotherapy practice since 1997.
– Using video, we feature demonstration of treatment of a real client family including the MIM assessment and feedback to the parents
– The training is interactive, intense, and practical—you will leave with the knowledge and skills to begin implementing MIM assessments in your play therapy treatment
– It features video of Theraplay treatment with clients of different ages and constellations
– The training includes interactive sessions to practice a variety of Theraplay activities
– The training concludes with practicing how to give feedback to parents
1. Explain the benefits of using the MIM in your play therapy practice
2. Arrange the MIM play therapy assessment tool
3. Analyze the MIM at a beginning level to benefit families in play therapy
4. Utilize the MIM as a guide for treatment planning in play therapy
5. Classify three play therapy goals to be achieved during a MIM feedback session with parents
Who Should Attend?
People who work with children and families in many different capacities will benefit from training programs offered by The Theraplay Institute. Visit our Who Should Attend page for more information. This course’s Content Level is Intermediate.
View this module’s bibliography for books and other materials referenced in the development of the content for this program.
For information about our CE process, cancellation policy, and how to contact us with questions and concerns visit our FAQ page. Attendance of the entirety of a program (in-person or virtual) is required in order to receive continuing education or a letter of completion.
There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.