- This event has passed.
April 4 @ 8:00 am - 2:30 pm CDT$216 – $270
Theraplay® is a child and family modality of play therapy for building and enhancing attachment, self-esteem, trust in others, and joyful engagement. Theraplay involves the parents in play therapy an immediate and positive way. The involvement gives them experiences of success and pride in their children so they can feel motivated to support them through the play therapy process. Through work with the parents, including helping them develop empathy for their child, conveying practitioner empathy for them, and building their confidence in their parenting capacities, practitioners can support long-term change in the family system. This four-hour training is designed to teach participants the fundamentals of working with a wide range of parents and caregivers using the Theraplay model. For more information and learning objectives for Theraplay Module 5: Treatment Planning in Theraplay visit this page.Register
This is a one day training taking place on April 4, 2022 from 8:00am-2:30pm Central Time (CST). View this module’s detailed agenda.
Cindy Perkins, MA, LCPC is a retired school teacher, administrator and counselor of 32 years. She is a certified Theraplay Practitioner, certified Theraplay Trainer and a certified Thraplay Supervisor. She has been in Private psychotherapy practice since 1997. She specializes in Attachment and Trauma issues, and school and learning issues.
- This training builds upon content learned in the MIM Module to help clinicians learn to adapt what is learned in the MIM into treatment goals.
- This training outlines how to examine behaviors through the lens of sensory and regulation needs.
- This training explains the relationship between the eight senses and regulation states.
- The training provides an overview of the phases of treatment.
- The training explains how to work through resistance.
- It features videos of Theraplay treatment with several different clients, in addition to the demonstration family which will be examined in greater detail.
- Describe how to guide parents and caregivers to participate in a Theraplay, a modality of play therapy, in treatment sessions
- Specify how to support parents and caregivers in the development of empathy, understanding, and mentalization/reflective capacity when interacting with their children
- Demonstrate how to prepare parents and caregivers to use Theraplay play therapy techniques at home to further therapeutic goal
- Examine what differentiates working with a complex parent from a more typical case and what this means for play therapy treatment
Who Should Attend?
People who work with children and families in many different capacities will benefit from training programs offered by The Theraplay Institute. Visit our Who Should Attend page for more information. This course’s Content Level is Intermediate.
View this module’s bibliography for books and other materials referenced in the development of the content for this program.
For information about our CE process, cancellation policy, and how to contact us with questions and concerns visit our FAQ page.
There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.