- This event has passed.
Watching the Masters with Joanna Fortune
July 11 @ 9:00 am - 10:15 am CDT
Learn from Masters
Join us for Watching the Masters, an opportunity to view the cases of some of the best Theraplay Practitioners in the field. During this Zoom webinar, a Certified Theraplay Trainer or Supervisor will share footage of a case and analyze it, providing insightful commentary along the way. They will explain the factors that influenced their decisions before, during, and after the session, point out places for improvement, and share applicable advice you can implement into your Theraplay practice.Register
About Joanna’s Case
How to repair rolling and repeated ruptures in the relationship
We all know and understand the importance of engaging in relational repair of ruptures when they occur in the parent-child relationship. But what happens when those ruptures and rolling and repeated in the relationship? Can a parent who has never known relational repair provide such repair? What’s a therapist to do?
In this episode of Watching the Masters, Dr Joanna Fortune will show how she approached a mother and son desperately reaching for each other when repeatedly pulled apart. To add to the complexity, this was a short-term intervention for reasons Joanna will explore with us alongside reflecting if the intervention was worth pursuing in such circumstances.
Joanna will discuss how she:
- Approached this traumatised parent and adapted to the changing landscape of this relationship as new disclosures and information emerged during the work
- Planned a short block of sessions
- Created a new shared language for this parent and child that focused on what could be done rather than what could not
- Worked within the transference and associated boundary pushing by this parent within the work
- Reflect on the learning from this piece of work and all of the unanswered and unanswerable questions that arose
- The importance of community collaborators in complex cases
About the Master
Joanna Fortune, MICP; MIFPP; CTTTS; Reg Pract APPI; Ap Sup ICP/PTI, is a Psychotherapist and Attachment specialist specializing in child and adolescent Psychotherapy with over 20 years’ experience working with children and families. She is a Theraplay Practitioner, trainer and supervisor and is the Country lead for Theraplay in Ireland. Read full bio.