The Theraplay Institute
The Theraplay Institute has been the international guardian for Theraplay since 1971, and a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation since 1995.
We are all about “building better relationships” – family relationships through Theraplay treatment, classroom relationships through Sunshine Circles, community relationships through our professional networking and educational services program, international relationships through our chartered affiliates in Finland and our international associations in many other countries.
The Theraplay Institute is:
- An international training institute, providing training for mental health professionals, parents and teachers, both locally and off-site around the world
- A provider of top-notch clinical supervision for Theraplay trainees
- The only organization that certifies Theraplay practitioners, trainers, and supervisors
- A Theraplay treatment center in Evanston, IL (Chicago, IL)
- A Theraplay research clearinghouse and technical support resource
- An information resource center with an on-line therapist referral directory, library of publications and media resource center of books and videos
- A sponsor of professional networking groups such as Attachment Matters
Theraplay Institute staff clinicians are leading experts in the fields of attachment, parent-child relationships and trauma-informed practice. We practice and teach others how to provide best practice therapy for problems resulting from international adoption, trauma/abuse, developmental disorders, ADD/ADHD, Reactive Attachment Disorder, medical trauma, and others. We also help families with otherwise asymptomatic children who exhibit angry, disruptive, defiant behavior or shy, withdrawn or clingy behavior.
Initially earning our reputation for work with very young children, we have in recent years continued to innovate by combining Theraplay with other effective treatments such as Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy (DDP), enabling us to treat a wider range of children, including adolescents. Theraplay has also been used with groups of Alzheimer’s patients, teen mothers, mothers in substance abuse recovery programs and others.
The Theraplay Institute continues to publish books and videos for both clinicians and parents. Every four years, we also host an International Theraplay Conference in the summer, bringing together leading world experts and clinicians for a very energizing and interesting two days. We are also frequently asked to speak at major national and international conferences such as the World Association for Infant Mental Health Congress, the Association for Play Therapy, the Association for Social Work Boards and the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
We are approved continuing education providers for the American Psychological Association, the National Board of Certified Counselors and the Association for Play Therapy and various state boards of professional regulation.
Building strong families and emotionally healthy children and adults through Theraplay training, treatment, advocacy, and research